After a bit of thinking and a lot of doodling I have come up with THE LIST. Since I won’t be starting until mid-January there may still be some tweaks but for the most part this is what I am going with. They are in no particular order and I will be implementing these habit changes one at a time using the “Zen Habits” method. I doubt they will all get done, actually if I have just two or three new habits firmly entrenched by the end of the year I will call it success.
- Improve eating habits
- reduce grain intake and search for healthier grains
- keep sugar intake low
- avoid chemicals, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives
- experiment with grain free recipes
- eliminate processed treats (no more store bought cookies, desserts etc)
- decide ahead of time when I am going to break my rules and keep track
Goal: better sleep, better mood, less joint pain
@ I am already doing most of these things to some degree but I want to try a little harder. I have begun looking up all the ingredients on things like crackers and cereals and researching to find the healthiest flours.
- Increase my physical activity
- longer walks with dog (10k steps per day goal)
- jump rope
- hand weights
- create a schedule
- start small
Goal: better sleep, better mood, tone muscles, increase upper arm strength
@ this one is going to be tough because I don’t really like to exercise. I also need to be flexible and adjust my routine to fit the time of year. Swimming in the summer instead of walking for example. But this is where the Zen Habits will be very helpful.
- two 5 to 10 minute sessions per day
- start small
- be patient with myself
@ I had already started on this goal, I thought it would be a good one to give the “Zen Habits” method a practice run with. But then I got sick and now I need to start over. Such is life.
Goal: peace of mind, better focus
- finish writing something, anything
- set time or word count goal
- investigate entering some contests
Goal: to write enough that I can think of myself as an author, to feel a sense of purpose, to add another dimension to my day.
- take better photos
- watch a Great Courses DVD I bought this year
- read blogs about taking photos
- look into photo editing software
Goal: become a more knowledgeable photographer
@ I enjoy taking nature photos and am ready to up my game. The last few years I have made myself a calendar and I want 2017’s to be fabulous!
Hopefully I will have the patience to take my time and attend to each new habit properly. This time next year my days will look very different if I am successful. I am looking forward to change, feeling better and discovering who I can be in this next phase of my life.