One of my new things is to ask myself in the morning, “what would make me happy today?” and then try and do it. One overcast day last week I really wanted to go take some photos at Sabino Canyon. So after dropping small child off at school I ate my low carb breakfast and went for a walk. I cannot tell you how good it felt to do something simply because it made me happy.
For someone who is in slug mode I am actually getting a lot done. All the basics are being kept up with, laundry, cooking, bill paying etc. But this past weekend we made it all about wintery fun, desert style.
Friday night we had a family movie night. We got the movie “E.T.” from the library, pizza from Papa John’s and Reese’s Pieces from my earlier commissary trip. I suppose this isn’t unique to the desert but it felt like such a cold winter night thing to do.
Saturday night we went to see our local minor league hockey team play (The Roadrunners, meep meep). It was cold in the arena, there was ice flying and guys skating really fast. Felt like winter to me.
On Sunday we decided to venture outdoors. Sure it is winter but we decided to brave the crowds and take a hike at Sabino Canyon. We didn’t have to brave the elements as it was 70° without a cloud in the sky. Well, we did need sunscreen. It was too crowded for my tastes but it was nice to see the creek really flowing with snow melt from up in the mountains. The sky was a gorgeous blue and there was a bit of a Santa Ana breeze. It was really nice just being outdoors.
Tune in tomorrow for the conclusion of my three part Winter series. 🙂
Plan A: Curl up on the couch under an afghan, drink copious amounts of hot beverages and watch the Weather Channel to show my support of my home state of Maryland.
Plan B: Take advantage of a 75 degree day and going hiking at Sabino Canyon.
I chose to do both! I started with Plan B and spent the morning meandering around Sabino Canyon Recreation Area.
The water was really flowing at Sabino Creek. It hasn’t rained in over a week so it must be snowmelt from higher up.
When I came home for lunch I watched the weather channel. I miss having weather, real weather. The kind you have to prepare for and that forces you to hunker down for a few days. Oh well, I still have hope for some more rain this winter. Everyone out East please stay safe!
I am feeling much better these days. It is a huge relief to not feel crabby for no apparent reason all the time. There are various reasons I could be feeling better:
1. My husband is doing the Whole 30 with some co-workers and I decided to do it too since I was going to have to do all the food prep for him anyway. (My husband can grill but completely inept in the kitchen which I think he does on purpose.) I am on day 10 and I believe purging the grains and sugar from my diet are making a difference.
2. I am getting outdoors a bit more despite the heat and humidity. It is still unpleasant out but cloud cover makes it more bearable. On Saturday afternoon we went for a short hike at Sabino Canyon Recreation Area. It had been raining all day but we just had a few sprinkles on our hike and on the way home the sun came out making it yucky hot. On Labor Day we went to Apple Annie’s and picked a ton of fruit and veggies. Despite being “only” 85 degrees, with the humidity and sun it was sweltering. But I love picking fruit and we enjoyed ourselves despite the weather. It plain feels good to be outdoors more.
3. It is September which means there must be an end in sight to the heat. Okay, it will be anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks before we feel it but there is still a feeling of having survived another desert summer. (Well almost survived, only two more weeks of summer to go.)
4. Lots to look forward to. We are now in my “most wonderful time of the year”. My husband and I sat down with the calendar and planned out our camping trips for the next few months. The anticipation of true autumn weather (at higher elevations), wearing long sleeves, and gathering leaves makes me smile.
5. It is football season! This year we bought season tickets to University of Arizona Wildcat football games. Nothing beats the atmosphere of college football. Football and a marching band, what could be better in (almost) autumn? Our first game was last Thursday and it started raining a few hours before kickoff. But the rain ended just as we were going to our seats. We had remembered a towel to dry our seats off and it was a lovely, cool evening. It was so perfect I thought I was going to cry. Arizona won and as usual it was an entertaining game.
Sunday I have my Denver Bronco’s to look forward to. If only Peyton Manning can stay healthy and the O-line keep him protected!
6. I was on-call for jury duty this week and did not have to report to the courthouse. This means I have the whole week free to do whatever I want. (I wish.)
I hope everyone is having a happy day. 🙂